Rental Property Investment Books
What are the most influential real estate rental property investment books to read? What book should you start with first? These are the questions you might have before entering this article. The collection of books mentioned below are written by professionals in the real estate market who have created wealth based on the content of their book.
The authors are here to help you generate wealth from rental property investment. So, let’s dive into the list now.
1. The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner
First on our list of rental property investment books is the book that sold More than half a million copies worldwide. Brandon Turner—active real estate investor, best-selling author, and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast— teaches you everything you need to get started on your path to financial independence with rental properties. With nearly 400 pages of comprehensive advice, this book explains the time-tested strategies used to build real estate wealth, whether you’re just starting or have hundreds of units. You’ll learn how to create a workable plan, find incredible deals, analyze properties, build a team, finance rentals, and much more—everything you need to become a millionaire rental property investor.
2. Buy It, Rent It, Profit! Make Money as a Landlord in Any Real Estate Market by Bryan M. Chavis
Bryan M. Chavis has over twenty years of real estate experience and is the founder of The Landlord Property Management Academy. He is well-versed in all phases and aspects of working with rental properties. In his book, which is recently updated to match today’s bullish real estate market, he will give you advice on being a profitable and professional landlord, protecting your investment, learning what types of property to buy, and adapting to the ever-changing world of real estate technology. Chavis also offers systems for attracting quality tenants, negotiating lease agreements, collecting rent, financing a mortgage, and managing the property as a whole—everything you need to become a competent, profitable, and professional property manager and be a successful rental property investment.
Moving on to the third book within our list of rental property investment books.
3. Investing in Rental Properties for Beginners by Lisa Phillips
Lisa teaches black professionals how to invest in rental properties in low-income, minority neighborhoods with compassion and profit. This book will show you how to tailor your investment strategy to your financial situation. You don’t need to ask your parents or friends for loans because the book will show you the best way to build a rental portfolio which is to buy units in low-income neighborhoods with extremely high rents (for example, buy a $44,000 rental that earns $1200 per month in rent).
This book will teach you what the best market/price for your investment portfolio should be for your budget, how to invest out of state easily and effortlessly to build your portfolio, how to find low-cost properties and analyze them to ensure you are choosing the right property, the three key factors that determine whether it’s a good deal or not, and much more.
4. Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat by David Greene
David Greene is a real estate investor and a former police officer with over nine years of experience. He has purchased, rehabbed, and managed over 35 single-family rental properties, owns shares in three sizeable multifamily apartment complexes, notes in note funds, and is a top-producing Keller Williams East County real estate agent. David is a nationally recognized real estate expert who co-hosts the BiggerPockets Podcast and has appeared on CNN, Forbes, and HGTV.
Like all the other rental property investment books mentioned in this article, this book will teach you how to invest in real estate, flip houses, buy rental properties, and never run out of money by employing the hottest real estate strategy available. Inside, you’ll find:
- How to find target properties both locally and across the country
- A solid plan for getting started, even if you only have a small amount of money.
- The key to identifying emerging markets on the verge of explosive growth
- How to recoup 100% (or more) of your investment in a transaction
- Negotiation strategies for making acceptable offers
- How to hire top talent to work on your deals (so they can earn you money!)
- Unusual methods for increasing the value of a property (and your net worth)
- And much more
5. Short-Term Rental, Long-Term Wealth
Avery Carl, CEO, and Founder of The Short Term Shop, will teach you how to identify, buy, and manage a short-term rental from anywhere in the country, avoid common traps, and overcome challenges that prevent many would-be investors from even starting!
This book will teach you about how to identify the best markets for short-term rental investing, estimate a short-term rental property’s potential revenue and profitability, and self-manage a short-term rental using your smartphone, create a local on-the-ground team to support an out-of-state investment, and automate your self-management systems and use short-term rental money to expand your investment portfolio.
6. Build a Rental Property Empire by Mark Ferguson
Mark Ferguson is a successful landlord, house flipper, real estate broker, and #1 New York Times Bestselling Author. Mark has sold over 1,000 homes as a broker, flipped over 200 homes, and owns Blue Steel Real Estate. He also owns single-family homes, multifamily homes, and commercial rental properties.
This book contains everything you need to know about residential rental properties in one place: BRRRR, House Hacking, Financing, Finding Deals, Management, Repairing, Tax Strategies, and Selling. Reading through the pages will provide you with specific information on finance, find, analyze, manage, and even sell rental properties. Whereas other books lack specifics on making money in real estate, this book is all about specifics. This book is an excellent item within our list of rental property investment books.
7. Real Estate Investing QuickStart Guide
Best-selling course teacher, registered real estate broker, and consultant Symon sets out the most basic, practical, and easy way for novice investors looking to close their first deals and begin their road to developing a real estate empire.
The real estate investing quick start guide will teach you the secrets of profitable deal making—where to find deals, how to structure your deals, and how to avoid losses.
The insider’s guide to the residential, commercial, and raw land real estate markets, as well as which one is right for you, how to use leverage, smart financing options, and low capital to fund your growing investments, valuation, terminal value, and rental comparison worksheets, advanced rental income analyzer, wholesaling deal analyzer, Symon’s exclusive fix & flip property analyzer, and more!
8. Landlording on Autopilot by Mike Butler
Mike Butler’s investing success has been highlighted in Money magazine’s feature article “Can Real Estate Make You Rich?” as well as The Wall Street Journal Radio network, which has over 170 syndicated radio shows. He is the author of the #1 Best Seller Business Books on Amazon, “Landlording on Autopilot.” His book has become the “go-to-training manual” for thousands of landlords and property managers worldwide.
Butler reveals all of the essential techniques of autopilot landlording:
- Identifying the most profitable types of properties
- Screening and finding great tenants you can rely on
- Using powerful, ready-to-use landlording forms to get rid of bad tenants quickly, safely, and cheaply when buying properties
- Training tenants to do your landlording work for you
- Taking advantage of little-known tax breaks available to full-time or part-time landlords
- Increasing your cash flow with a simple push-button management system
- Using creative tactics to bring in more than 100% of the rent consistently
- Quickly complying with landlording regulations and legal stuff you might not think of
- And much more
9. The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties
J Scott, an accomplished real estate fix-and-flipper, describes a step-by-step path to success in your first—or next—house flip in The Book on Flipping Houses.
This revised version of the best-selling book provides additional explanations on the ins and outs of flipping real estate at any stage of the economic cycle, more choices for financing your flips, and an emphasis on more significant remodeling projects that were not previously covered.
As one of our suggestions of Rental Property Investment Books, in this book you’ll learn how to implement the 7 most common and creative financing strategies, quickly and accurately evaluate the profitability of deals, determine the types of properties you should invest in, perform due diligence to ensure your deal is a winner, identify the best locations to build your flipping business, create a scope of work, budget, and schedule that generates profit, find and hire the best contractors to manage your rehab to completion, and sell your property.
10. Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Last but not least on our rental property investment books list is ‘Rich Dad, Poor Dad.’ Even though it discusses both small business investment and real estate investment, this book is a must-read. Because of its general knowledge, critical lessons taught, and specific strategy dissection, the text is regarded as one of the best reads on investment and personal finance of all time. Kiyosaki explains how to use real estate to generate passive income and build a portfolio that will provide consistent returns. This, like all of the other books we’ve mentioned, is motivational and will inspire you.
Robert Kiyosaki, the international best-selling author whose books have topped the New York Times bestseller list for over six years, is an investor, entrepreneur, and educator whose views on money and investing contradict conventional wisdom. He has effectively challenged and changed the way tens of millions of people worldwide think about money.
11. How To Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide
Brandon Turner is the name of authenticity when it comes to real estate. Joshua Dorkin is also an active real estate investor, and these two giants of the industry host a podcast called Bigger Pockets. They have written this real estate book jointly, named How to invest in real estate: The ultimate guide for beginners to start. The book was published in 2018, but it’s one of the best-selling books even after five years. The book discusses different aspects of real estate, but it is written mainly for new investors. It’s very easy to read, and a new investor can easily understand the terms written for him. The book introduces common investment strategies for beginners. Readers learn about real estate business plans like wholesaling, flipping, and short-term rentals. People who want to invest in real estate or start it as a side business must read this book. It can help you to invest if you have no money or have a bad credit history. You can get some excellent tips for getting more profits. We highly recommend this book as one of our Rental Property Investment Books suggestions.
The stories in the book are real life and very motivational for new investors. It teaches no investors how they can innovate their way in the market, as there is no standard way to do things right. The first steps for every investor are very challenging, and this book makes them easier for you. It would not be wrong to call it a comprehensive manual for real estate investors. It has different strategies, and you can easily find one which suits your resources and goals. The book tells real-life stories, so the investor can identify and get inspiration. If we try to summarize the key points addressed in the book, they can be as follows
- How to start an investment as a part-time venture besides a job.
- The secrets of corporations.
- Strategies to build a real estate empire with a strong foundation.
- Different property types suitable for different people
- How to increase your investments if you start earning more.
- How to indulge your spouse in your real estate business
- How to find good real estate deals.
- Innovative real estate strategies
- How to start a real estate business with little investment.
- How to grow your business if you have a bad credit history.
12. Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties
As David Greene explains, investing outside one’s home state was considered dangerous. However, due to changes in
regulations, technology, and markets, investors can now search a wider geographic area for investments. Greene seeks to arm you with crucial information on the issue in his book, which covers foreign investment from every viewpoint.
In this book, Greene explains:
- How to construct a top-notch team to manage every facet of a deal, starting to finish
- How to locate excellent prices wherever you reside, in every state
- How to complete a project’s rehabilitation from a great distance without stress or difficulty
- How to communicate with people who will be your agents, contractors, lenders, and property managers in their language
- How to decide which communities to buy into quickly and easily and which to avoid
- How to pick the best supplies for your renovation tasks while spending the least amount of money
(BONUS) The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of
Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
Ken McElroy ensures readers learn how the cash flow generated from property investment appreciates and ensures financial freedom, as well as the freedom to be your own boss. He discusses the fundamentals of real estate investing, including how to perform appropriate due diligence and a walkthrough of the buying and selling processes. Also, you can find information about multifamily properties, covering topics like market research, setting criteria for the ideal property, assessing potential investment opportunities, making offers, carrying out due diligence, negotiating contracts, and maximizing the profit potential of the asset.
This book will show you how to:
- Use real estate to build wealth and generate cash flow.
- Locate a home with significant possibilities.
- Show you how to dispel the myths that are preventing you.
- Relying on the numbers when negotiating the transaction.
- Analyze the property and the cost to buy.
- Use proven property management strategies to boost your income.
Conclusion: Rental Property Investment Books
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it is an excellent place to start for anyone looking for rental property investment books. Although we have based this list on assisting beginners in the world of investment, the books are ideal for anyone who wants a refresher on strategies and how professionals do it.
Related: Influential Real Estate Investment Books for Beginners
Also see: 7 Influential Real Estate Investment YouTube Channels for Beginners